From the Publisher
American Sour Beers: Innovative Techniques for Mixed Fermentations
Michael Tonsmeire provides inspiration, education and practical applications for brewers of all levels with the help of some of the country’s best known sour beer brewers.
This book details the wide array of processes and ingredients in…
American sour beer production, with actionable advice for each stage of the brewing process.
Craft brewers and homebrewers have adapted traditional European techniques to create some of the world’s most distinctive and experimental styles.
1. Sour Beers: A Primer – A Brief History of Sour Beers.
2. Getting Started – General Suggestions for Brewing Sour Beers.
3. Wort Production – Recipe Design.
4. Know Your Microbes.
5. Commercial Methods Of Souring – Classic European Methods & American Breweries’ Methods.
6. Homebrew Methods Of Souring – Mad Fermentationist (My Method).
7. Spontaneous Fermentation.
One of the most exciting and dynamic segments of today’s craft brewing scene…
American-brewed sour beers are designed intentionally to be tart and may be inoculated with souring bacteria, fermented with wild yeast or fruit, aged in barrels or blended with younger beer.
Inspiration and practical applications for brewers of all levels are provided by some of the country’s best known sour beer brewers, including Russian River, Jolly Pumpkin and The Lost Abbey.
8. 100% Brettanomyces Fermentation.
9. Fermentors And Wood Aging.
10. Adding Fruits And Vegetables.
11. Aging And Blending.